Friday

Are You A Friend of GOD?



"A Man That Hath Friends Must Show Himself Friendly: And There Is A Friend That Sticketh Closer Than A Brother." ~ Proverbs 18:24

First off, just let me say something before you read this post and say it. “What am I talking about?” Well, I have a lot of questions in this post. And before you call me nosy, follow me closely… I have my reasons for asking. And that is… I want to make a clear point. Ready? [That’s the first question… Lol]

Do you have any good friends? Are you a good friend to someone else? How do you treat your friends? How do your friends treat you? Hopefully, you treat them with mutual respect and admiration.

Now, here are the real questions! Is GOD your true friend? Or do you have Him on a visitor’s list… where He has to get your permission to drop by and see about you? These are great questions to ponder, that’s for sure. And it's really something to give some serious thought to. The reason I’ve asked so many questions, is because these questions describe how commonplace GOD has become to many people. Thousands, if not millions of people have GOD on their visitor’s list. They pay Him courtesy-calls, and between those calls... He is totally forgotten. Perhaps the call is paid once a week in the social function of praise or worship service. Or, if He’s lucky enough… GOD might get invited to a prayer service in the middle of the week. Perhaps your visit with GOD is paid more rarely, like calls between strangers who once were friends. If that is the case… it’s a sad one.  

What Does It Mean to Be a Friend of GOD? 

I know that GOD extends His friendship toward us, but the question is, are we reciprocating… are we returning the favor? Are we responding appropriately?

If you recall, Jesus spoke about true friendship with others and with GOD. He said, “This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.”  ~ John 15:12-14

God expects you and I to surrender all that we own, to Him.  Things like:


·         Our home

·         Our business

·         Our children

·         Our plans

·         Our future

·         Our lives


We cannot flirt with GOD, now and then, and then pretend to be interested in Him only when we want something from Him. GOD desires a real relationship; one where there is direct communication between us and Him – as often as is necessary for us to trust Him; and for Him to prove He can depend on us.

Without great sacrifice to GOD… of everything we count dear and precious, we can totally forget about being His friend. 

Remember, GOD has already given the ultimate sacrifice for us. He has already sacrificed that which was the dearest to His heart on Calvary's cruel cross so that you and I may have eternal life. He has already shown Himself a friend to us. Now it’s our turn. Are you willing?

No comments:

Post a Comment